Sunday, September 23, 2012

Some thoughts on directing...

The following is an excerpt from the book "What They Don't Teach You At Film School" by Camille Landau and Tiare White. I wanted to share some of their thoughts that I found particularly relevant to the subject of directing and establishing a vision for a project. Enjoy.


What they don't teach you at FILM SCHOOL














You don’t need permission. No one asks you for your security clearance. It takes something a little more subtle. To be a director, you have to be able to say, “I care.”


You must be willing to take a strong and tenacious point of view with regard to the story you are telling. You have to be willing to say why this story is meaningful to you, and what your personal relationship is to it. This puts you in a vulnerable place, which is why, when faced with it, most people don’t actually enjoy directing.
                

         Remember when you raised your hand in third grade for liking a book, movie, or song, and the other kids laughed at you? You were uncool for liking something. For caring. At thirteen, “I don’t care” and “I don’t know” became key phrases. You still use them when you’re nervous.
            
     
          The reason it’s hard to direct a film is that you have to say, “I care” a lot. Not just “I want to make this film,” which is like saying, “I care.” But also “I want the camera here” (not here) or “I want this color paint for the walls” (not that one. That’s “I care.” Directing a film means taking the path of most resistance. 

            Every time you express your care or concern, you take a risk. 


No comments:

Post a Comment